Albert Gleizes (1881-1953)

No artwork currently available for this artist.

    Biography

    Albert Léon Gleizes was born and raised in Paris, he was the son of a fabric designer who ran a large industrial design workshop. He was also the nephew of Léon Comerre, a successful portrait painter who won the 1875 Prix de Rome.

    After four years in the army Gleizes began pursuing a career as a painter, primarily working on landscapes. Initially influenced by the Impressionists, he was only twenty-one when his work titled La Seine à Asnières was exhibited at the Société Nationale des Beaux-Arts in 1902. The following year he was part of the first Salon d'Automne and soon came under the influence of Fernand Léger, Robert Delaunay, Jean Metzinger and Henri Le Fauconnier.

    By the end of the decade Gleizes' evolving cubism saw him exhibit at the Salon des Indépendants in Paris in 1910, he then collaborated with Jean Metzinger to produce a theoretical essay about cubism, published in 1912. In the fall of that year, he and Metzinger joined the Puteaux Group led by Jacques Villon and his brother Marcel Duchamp.

    Gleizes married in 1915 moved with his wife to New York. From there, they sailed to Barcelona where they were joined by Marie Laurencin plus Francis Picabia and his wife. The group spent the summer painting at the resort area of Tossa del Mar and in December Gleizes had the first solo exhibition of his works at the Galeries Dalmau in Barcelona. Returning to New York , Gleizes began writing poetic sketches in verse and in prose.

    In the late 1930s, the American art connoisseur Peggy Guggenheim purchased a number of works by works by Albert Gleizes which today form part of the celebrated Peggy Guggenheim Collection in the United States. In 1951, he was made a jury member for the Prix de Rome and the government of France awarded him the Legion of Honour.

    Albert Gleizes completed his last major work in 1952, a fresco titled Eucharist, that he painted for a Jesuit chapel in Chantilly. He died a year later in Avignon on 23 June 1953.